Latest News

Bank Negara Malaysia, Credit Guarantee Corp Malaysia Bhd & Agensi Kaunseling dan Pengurusan Kredit launch Khidmat Nasihat Pembiayaan (MyKNP) to help improve borrowers’ eligibility for SME & housing loans
Bank Negara Malaysia, Credit Guarantee Corp Malaysia Bhd & Agensi Kaunseling dan Pengurusan Kredit launch Khidmat Nasihat Pembiayaan (MyKNP) to help improve borrowers’ eligibility for SME & housing loans The post Bank Negara Malaysia, Credit Guarantee Corp Malaysia Bhd & Agensi Kaunseling dan Pengurusan Kredit launch Khidmat Nasihat Pembiayaan (MyKNP) to help improve borrowers’ eligibility for SME & housing loans appeared first on The Malaysian Reserve. [...]
Save
‘Death Stranding’ envelops Gamescom Opening Night Live
A screengrab of ‘Death Stranding’, developed by Kojima Productions. COLOGNE, Aug 21 — Nearly a quarter of Gamescom’s two-hour, inaugural Opening Night Live in Cologne was dedicated to Death Stranding, the curious, often oblique, well-anticipated PlayStation 4 game due out in November 2019.High concept met slapstick and lowbrow humour in a half-hour slot devoted to Death Stranding at yesterday’s Gamescom 2019 Opening Night Live, with show presenter Geoff Keighley a notable fan of the November 8 release.“Beached Things,” “Bridge Babies,” AI scientists, invisible infants that live on The Other Side, the ability to urinate in rainy highlands while carrying and caring for a hermetically sealed foetus — the baffling topography of sci-fi adventure Death Stranding was on display in three separate videos.Fortunately, game director Hideo Kojima was on hand to explain something of his vision for Death Stranding, in which players take control of a deliveryman named Sam.The game is about connections, whether they be between outposts of the United Cities of America, between the real world and a strange realm or world of the dead, or between the characters Sam meets along his way.Previously best known for steering the Metal Gear Solid series before leaving franchise publisher Konami in 2015, Kojima talked Gamescom’s in-person and online audiences through videos introducing new character Mama (played by Margaret Qualley of The Leftovers) and Sam’s scientist colleague Deadman (played by Pan’s Labrynth and Pacific Rim director Guillermo del Toro).As well as the conceptual nuances of his game’s dual worlds, Kojima also introduced a gameplay segment which featured Keighley himself.The presenter’s likeness had been used to create a character called Ludens Fan, who appears to be tangentially involved in Sam’s overarching mission.The character of Sam is played by TV and film actor Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead), while development studio Kojima Productions has also secured the services of Mads Mikkelsen (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Hannibal), Lea Seydoux (Spectre), Lindsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman), and Nicolas Winding Refn (director, Drive, Mikkelsen’s Pusher movies).Death Stranding was one of four tentpole PlayStation 4 games presented together at the 2018 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Marvel’s Spider-Man was released to critical and commercial acclaim in September of that year, with The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima anticipated (though not yet officially confirmed) for 2020.A successor to the PlayStation 4 console is expected to launch at some point after April 2020. ― AFP-Relaxnews [...]
Save
Medical News Today: What to know about a pimple on the finger
Many things can cause a pimple-like bump to develop on the finger, such as a wart or atopic dermatitis. Treatment depends on the cause. Learn more about finger pimples here. [...]
Save
Arsenal urged to copy old Man Utd tactic to catch Man City and Liverpool in Premier League
Arsenal have been told copying Sir Alex Ferguson’s tactics from Manchester United’s glory days is the way to progress. [...]
Save
'It’s an old clip', Shafie says of video comparing Bersatu to Umno
Parti Warisan Sabah president Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal says the two parties are now united after a rough start. ― Picture by Miera Zulyana KOTA KINABALU, Aug 22 — Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal today dismissed a video of him criticising ally Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) and likening it to Umno saying the clip which has been making the rounds on social media is an old one.The Parti Warisan Sabah president said the two parties are now united after a rough start.“That video is old. Before we had an understanding that Bersatu would not come to Sabah, so that came about because we know some in our party were doubtful and worried and were thinking about leaving because they didn’t get positions — it’s an old story,” Shafie told reporters after and even today.“Now we are here together, so we work together at the state level.”Shafie was asked to comment on a two-minute video that was being circulated on social media of him in a conversation with at least two women, where he criticised ally PPBM and its state leader Datuk Hajiji Noor.In the video, Shafie is heard saying “This Bersatu is Umno. This is politics. So why do you want to join Bersatu?”, while the woman said that they heard they will lose their voice in Warisan.“Who is in power now? Is Hajiji in power or me?” said Shafie, referring to PPBM Sabah de facto leader Datuk Hajiji Noor, when the woman brought the subject of PPBM’s “dominance” up.The video is seen to be controversial due to the strenuous nature between Warisan and PPBM here after the latter reneged on an earlier promise not to set up in Sabah.Shafie had struck an agreement with PPBM chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad for the latter to stay out of the state as they head into the 14th general election in 2018.Warisan eventually aligned itself with the federal Pakatan Harapan government, giving them enough seats to defeat Barisan Nasional in the May 9 polls.But after the defeat, many Umno elected representatives and members in Sabah wanted to join PPBM, claiming loss of confidence in the party’s direction.Dr Mahathir eventually announced that PPBM would open up in Sabah, to support the Warisan-led government.Shafie then said he accepted the decision as it was within their rights to come to Sabah.In April this year, the Sabah chapter of PPBM was launched with nine assemblymen — eight from Umno and one from Parti Bersatu Rakyat Sabah — and five MPs. [...]
Save
Zakir Naik to return to Bukit Aman today, this time over defamation complaint against minister
On August 16, Dr Zakir lodged his police report in Shah Alam against Kulasegaran, former ambassador Dennis Ignatius, Penang deputy chief minister II P. Ramasamy, Bagan Dalam assemblyman Satees Muniandy and Klang MP Charles Santiago. — Bernama pic KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 22 ― Controversial India-born preacher Dr Zakir Naik will be meeting federal police again this afternoon, his lawyer confirmed.However, Datuk Akberdin Abdul Kader said his client will be speaking to the police about his defamation complaint against five people, including Human Resources Minister M. Kulasegaran.“Not called. We are going to give statement on Zakir's police report against Kula, Ramasamy, Dennis, Satees, Santiago.“We chose the date and time to go. Since last Monday not enough time,” he told Malay Mail when contacted today, debunking rumours that the preacher was called for a third round of questioning over his controversial remarks about Indian and Chinese Malaysians.Akberdin said that his client will be giving his statement on his police report lodged on August 16, as there was not enough time to do so on August 19.On August 16, Dr Zakir lodged his police report in Shah Alam against Kulasegaran, former ambassador Dennis Ignatius, Penang deputy chief minister II P. Ramasamy, Bagan Dalam assemblyman Satees Muniandy and Klang MP Charles Santiago.He claimed that the five had taken his comments during his August 8 speech in Kota Baru, Kelantan out of context, and said his police report was to enable the launch of an investigation against them under the Penal Code and Sedition Act for allegedly defaming him and for purportedly instigating racial disharmony.The five have since maintained their comments, including Kulasegaran who said he would face him in the courts and others who said they were ready to assist the police.The law firm representing Dr Zakir has also sent out letters of demand to the five to demand for an apology and compensation from them over the alleged defamation.Dr Zakir’s police report and letters of demand came amid criticism against him over his reported controversial remarks about Malaysia’s minority communities.Police reports against Dr Zakir sparked a police investigation under Section 504 of the Penal Code for intentional insult with intent to provoke a breach of the peace, which saw the Malaysian permanent resident questioned by police twice.Dr Zakir was first questioned for several hours last Friday (August 16), and was questioned for the second time on August 19 for a reported 10 hours before he left Bukit Aman at 1.30am on August 20.Dr Zakir is wanted in his birth country of India, which has previously requested for his extradition from Malaysia for him to face money-laundering charges in the courts there. [...]
Save
What Cabinet reshuffle? Dr M didn't even bring it up, say Zuraida, Guan Eng
PUTRAJAYA: Senior Cabinet ministers have denied that a Cabinet reshuffle was brought up by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Wednesday (Aug 21). [...]
Save
Malaysian boy a drug addict at just 13
ALOR SETAR, Malaysia - It is a predicament that no mother will want to be in - see her only son drop out of school and become a drug addict at 13. Sadly, this is the situation faced by odd job worker Nor (not her full name) who is praying fervently that her son Atan will turn over a new leaf. The teenager, a slow learner, was tested positive for methamphetamine during a random call by the National Anti-Drug Agency (AADK) at his home in Kuala Kedah yesterday. Nor, 41, said her son mingled with bad company which led to his involvement in drugs. "But instead of money, my son was given syabu. I only want Atan to get back to school, " said the divorcee. Nor said five other boys in the village had also been seen in Botak's company. "I lodged two police reports when Atan did not return home for a few days three months ago. I hope police will act, " she said. Nor said her son used to attend classes at a school nearby from Year One to Year Four. After that, she said she sent him to a religious school in Pendang when he refused to go to school during Year Five. [...]
Save
Teachers Share Their Most Embarrassing Wardrobe Malfunctions
“But where did your eyebrows go?” [...]
Save
The Best Shampoo For Every Hair Type
The best shampoo for men covering every hair type including oily, thick, thin, dry grey and afro. These are the brands that will make your hair look thicker, healthier and shinier. [...]
Save
My indoor chive plant is covered in tiny bugs. Please help
submitted by /u/rotten_rabbit [link] [comments] [...]
Save
We’re One Step Closer to a Blood Test that Predicts When a Person Will Die
While death is inevitable, knowing when it will come isn’t necessarily, and scientists have been trying to develop a test that could reliably and easily predict how long a person will live — or, more technically, how healthy they are and therefore how vulnerable they might be to major mortality risk factors. Blood tests are the most likely avenue to such a test, since it’s easy to obtain blood samples and labs equipped to handle them are common. The latest effort is described in a new paper published in Nature Communications, by a team led by Joris Deelen, postdoctoral researcher at the Max Planck Institute for the Biology of Aging and P. Eline Slagboom, head of molecular epidemiology at Leiden University Medical Center. The researchers report that, in a group of more than 44,000 healthy patients, their blood test was around 80% accurate in predicting mortality risk within five to 10 years. The patients, who ranged in age from 18 to 109 years, provided blood samples and had their health events tracked for up to 16 years. The researchers analyzed a group of 226 so-called metabolites, or by-products of things that various cells and tissues in the body pour into the blood stream for circulation and removal. From this collection of markers, the team narrowed down the list to 14 that they determined could together, and along with the person’s sex, provide a pretty good picture of each person’s health risk, and, by association, their risk of dying in the next five to 10 years. They accomplished this by comparing those who died during the study to those who did not and isolating which agents in their blood differed to statistically significant amounts. The link between the final 14 factors and mortality remained strong even after the scientists accounted for potential confounding factors that also affect survival such as age, sex, and cause of death. “We want to tackle the vulnerability of people’s health that is hidden and that doctors cannot see from the outside,” says Slagboom. “I am still surprised by the fact that in a group of people you can take one blood sample at one point of time in their life, and that would say anything meaningful about their five to 10 year mortality risk.” Both Deelen and Slagboom stress that the test is not ready yet for doctors to use in the clinic with their patients, but that it does establish a foundation for one down the road. An eventual test could be most useful at first in assessing older patients and guiding treatment decisions, since the 14 metabolites represent a range of processes including the breakdown of fat and glucose, inflammation and fluid balance in the body, that impact a range of chronic ailments, as well as a person’s ability to recover from illness or injury. Researchers at Leiden University are currently studying the test to see if it can help doctors predict which patients with hip fractures are more likely to develop complications during their recovery after surgery. Another study is looking at whether the test can predict which people with kidney failure are more likely to develop dementia or side effects like delirium as a result of their treatment; this information could help doctors to better adjust dosage and treatment decisions. The researchers are also hoping to work with large databanks around the world to further validate the findings. “We see this as a foundation,” says Slagboom, “we do not see this test as an endpoint.” [...]
Save
Bolton Wanderers manager Phil Parkinson resigns from League One club
Wanderers are awaiting the completion of a takeover by Football Ventures [...]
Save
France says it now sees no-deal Brexit as the likeliest scenario
PARIS/BRUSSELS (Aug 21): The French government expects the U.K. to leave the European Union without a withdrawal agreement, an official in President Emmanuel Macron’s office... [...]
Save
Report: Cabinet gives motorbike ride-hailing service the greenlight
The report said the motorbike ride-hailing idea was mooted following a meeting between Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman and Go-Jek founder Nadiem Makarim with Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. AFP File Photo KUCHING: The Federal Cabinet has agreed in principle to allow ‘Go-Jek’, the motorcycle ride-hailing service, to operate in the country, a news report said. Entrepreneur Development Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Redzuan Yusof said in a report by The Star that the Cabinet had discussed the matter at length today and have given the green light for the service. “Cabinet in principle has agreed for this ‘Go-Jek’ service to be implemented. “The Youth and Sports Ministry and the Transport Ministry have been asked to work together and discuss what laws need to be amended or created to enable this service to be implemented in the country,” he told reporters in Putrajaya. Mohd Redzuan also said the two ministries would take one to two months to come up with a way to implement the service for the Cabinet’s consideration. “We want to ensure whatever we implement to develop the economy of our youth, it does not contravene the law,” said Mohd Redzuan. The report said the motorbike ride-hailing idea was mooted following a meeting between Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman and Go-Jek founder Nadiem Makarim with Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad. Go-Jek is an Indonesian motorbike ride-hailing company. Facebook Messenger Twitter WhatsApp Email Print The post Report: Cabinet gives motorbike ride-hailing service the greenlight appeared first on Borneo Post Online. [...]
Save
Two girls missing since Aug 3 found in Selayang, say police
Two teenagers who were reported missing since August 3 were found safe in Selayang yesterday. ― Picture by Hari Anggara SEREMBAN, Aug 21 — Two teenagers, who were reported missing since August 3, were found safe in Selayang, Selangor, yesterday, said Seremban district police chief ACP Mohd Said Ibrahim.He said that the youths, Chan Jiah Huih, 14, and Chan Yi Xuan, 15, were found by their family members at a dhoby at about 10pm after a tip off.‘’Their families have found them. They were then taken to the Selayang Police Station to have their statements taken. Police took them to the hospital for examinations before handing them back to their families,’’ he said after a Police Cadet Corp Foot Parade Competition here today.Mohd Said said that preliminary investigations revealed that both had admitted running away due to family problems.Yesterday, the media reported that the two families had appealed to their daughters to return home after being reported missing since Aug 3, after they were believed to have gone to Kuala Lumpur. — Bernama [...]
Save