KOTA KINABALU: Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin has urged young Sabahans to vote for Barisan Nasional instead of spoiling their votes. [...]
KUALA LUMPUR, March 24 — Leng Yein, the female DJ who accused her ex-boyfriend of abusing her, has been a popular figure in Malaysia for over a decade with a reputation for flaunting her looks.
The Penang-born personality first entered the public sphere when she was crowned Miss Pahang at 18, before becoming a finalist at the 2003 Miss Malaysia.
She began modelling at the same age and competed in pageants for several years.
For a time, she was considered Malaysia’s “car queen”, courtesy of owning a pink Hummer and doing a number of racy shoots for motoring magazines.
今晚 雅加達 對牛放歌呀！這有很多牛⋯ 好牛👍🏻 I have Bulls & me in Jakarta for @hinofficial @hinsoundstyle @hdmf2017 @hingirlfriends @hinmagazine #HIN #TheLengSisters #IAM #InternationalAutoModified #HotImportNights #MusicFestival #Jakarta
A post shared by Leng Yein / DJ Leng Yein (@lengyein) on
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:51am PST
Yein, 33, has also made frequent appearances as cover girl on publications such as FHM, where she earned the title “Most Wanted Woman in Malaysia” in 2015.
These are just a handful of a number of ventures that she is said to have undertaken. Her talents extend to singing and acting as well. It is written on various blogs that she owns multiple businesses that include a fashion accessories store, tattoo parlour, beauty salon and mamak shop in Setapak.
DJing is how she found fame, however, both in Malaysia and regionally.
Yein has performed at venues up and down the country since the mid-2000s and mixed over in Singapore, Bangkok and Taiwan, where she has dedicated fan bases. One of her earliest gigs was at Zouk KL, a club she has continued to play at over the years.
Her star was propelled by speaking openly about undergoing cosmetic surgery. She first got a nose job, followed by breast implants and dimples on her cheeks.
KUALA LUMPUR, March 24 — Selangor PAS state assemblymen have finally received their allocation as state representatives from the state government and now consider the matter resolved, according to a report today.
According to Sinar Harian, PAS’ Paya Jaras state assemblyman Khairuddin Othman said that the representatives started receiving their allocation from the state about a week ago.
Previously, Selangor PAS threatened to write in to Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah to raise concerns about them not receiving their regular annual allocations from the state government.
Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali had since denied that the funding was deliberately held, blaming the delay on the administrative process.
“You can go and ask them if they have received the money,” Azmin reportedly said during an event in Klang yesterday, according to the report. [...]
SYDNEY - Malaysia's veteran ex-leader Mahathir Mohamad said Friday (March 23) that missing flight MH370 might have been taken over remotely in a bid to foil a hijack, reviving one of the many conspiracy theories surrounding its disappearance.
The Malaysia Airlines plane disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people - mostly from China - on board while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. [...]
GEORGE TOWN: Folks in Langkawi are eternally grateful to former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed for developing the island resort until it became a top regional tourism destination, said Kuah assemblyperson Nor Saidi Nanyan.
But it is now time for the voters and residents alike to move forward and secure a better future following the foundations laid by Mahathir, he stressed.
Speaking to theSun, Nor Saidi said that the Langkawi Umno division is bracing for the prospects of fighting their former party president in the 14th general election.
There is speculation that Nor Saidi might be elevated to contest in the Langkawi parliament seat, causing him to be embroiled in a classic "David versus Goliath" battle as he would be up against a giant in Malaysian politics – Mahathir.
"We treat it as something normal in politics. There are no permanent friends or enemies in our profession. We respect Tun (Mahathir). We welcome anybody who wants to come and contest in Langkawi. Umno would be ready."
Nor Saidi was responding to reports that Mahathir was likely to contest in Langkawi as a symbolic gesture to indicate his comeback to mainstream politics.
However, Nor Saidi said that this election is about seeking a better future and not about digressing back into the past.
He said that in politics, any contest would be difficult to win because ultimately, it was the voters who dictate the winners and the losers.
"We may be the richest or the poorest; smartest or slow learners but it is the voters who choose, not politicians. And winning and losing is a culture of it."
According to him, the future of Langkawi is poised to be better if the people understood what the Federal Government and Kedah were trying to do here.
Firstly, the mega allocation of some RM1.3 billion by the Federal Government was to prepare the island for its future needs.
The water treatment and supply plant would be upgraded; the public hospital enlarged to accommodate 530 beds with a full enlistment of [...]
KOTA KINABALU: A local man was killed after his Toyota Vios car collided with a Nissan Urvan at Tuaran Bypass early yesterday morning.
Yong Yuk Khen, 34, from Manggatal succumbed to his injuries while the driver of the Nissan van, 44, suffered a broken leg in the 12.30am incident.
Two female passengers in the Nissan Urvan in their early 20s and mid 30s, suffered minor injuries.
City police chief ACP M. Chandra said based on initial police investigation, the Toyota Vios car was heading to the state capital from Manggatal.
The victim was pinned in the driver’s seat and it took Fire and Rescue personnel several minute to free him.
“The victim’s body was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for a post-mortem and police have notified the family members,” said Chandra.
The Nissan driver was also taken to the same hospital for treatment while the passengers received outpatient treatment.
Meanwhile, Chandra urged eyewitnesses to come forward to assist police in their investigation. [...]
MUAR: The team involved in the operation to rescue crew members of the sand-dredging vessel JBB Rong Chang 8 that capsized on Wednesday (March 21), has recovered a body near the scene. [...]
KUALA LUMPUR, March 24 — Both PKR and Parti Amanah Negara (Amanah) are vying for the Seri Serdang state seat in Selangor, as Pakatan Harapan’s seat distribution in the state continues to be held up.
According to a report in Sinar Harian, PKR Puchong wants its branch chief M. Anbarasan to be fielded as a candidate in the next general elections, as the PH parties vie for a seat that was contested by PAS in the last two elections.
“He was born in Seri Serdang, he is a local boy. There is no need to take an outside candidate to fill this seat,” PKR Puchong vice chief Aniza Jamaludin reportedly said.
PAS left the former Pakatan Rakyat coalition in 2015 and will be contesting on its own in the upcoming general elections.
PKR first contested the state seat in 2004 prior to it being handed over to PAS.
However, Amanah also wants its member Ahmad Idzam Ahmad, who contested here under a PAS ticket in 2008 before joining Amanah, to contest the seat again.
Ahmad Idzam lost to BN’s Datuk Satim Diman by a mere 45 votes in 2008. PAS’ Noor Hanim Ismail is the current state assemblyman for the seat, having won by a 16,000-vote majority in 2013.
Amanah Puchong committee member M. Murali said that Idzam is the only one who has consistently done work in the constituency since 2008, and that the leadership should opt for candidates who have put in the effort. [...]
KUALA LUMPUR, March 23 ― News portal The Malaysian Insight (TMI) will stop publication from next week onwards due to financial reasons, its editor and chief executive Jahabar Sadiq said today.
In the note to TMI’s readers, Jahabar said the year-old news website’s publication suspension is due to its missing of a “major milestone in starting a paywall” and as page views traffic has not reached the targeted critical mass.
“Hence, we need to review our direction, news operations and commercial viability.
“The decision to suspend publication in the interim is a difficult one, but was made due to the challenging financial environment faced by The Malaysian Insight and other media outlets,” he said in the statement published on TMI this evening.
“The Malaysian Insight thanks its readers and journalists and staff working here since its inception on March 31, 2017,” he said.
The Malaysian Insight's website currently lists 58 people on its team, including Jahabar himself.
Prior to The Malaysian Insight's launch in March 2017, Jahabar was reported saying that the new portal will operate as a free site before introducing a paywall sometime down the line.
In a report by Singapore daily The Straits Times (ST), Jahabar had refused to disclose the source of TMI’s funding, only saying that it took him 10 months to convince some private equity and businessmen to provide him with a sort of loan.
He had then said the site would focus on politics, followed by civil society movements, issues of race and religion, and domestic economy.
Jahabar was previously the editor of news portal The Malaysian Insider, which started on February 25, 2008 and closed down on March 15, 2016.
Jahabar had in March 2016 said it was the site owner The Edge Media Group's decision to shut down the eight-year-old portal citing commercial reasons.
The Edge Media Group had on June 9, 2014 confirmed its acquisition of The Malaysian Insider.
The Edge Media Group's chief [...]
On Friday (March 23), celebrity DJ Leng Yein uploaded a distressing post on her Facebook page, accusing her ex-boyfriend of abuse that had spanned the last two years.
Photos showing blood on Leng Yein's face, hands, legs, as well as hair matted with blood were also posted.
In her recount, the DJ said that she had kept quiet about the ongoing abuse for the last two years, but she finally had enough. [...]
PETALING JAYA: A 17-year-old girl has been reported missing after she allegedly ran away with a man she fell in love with. [...]
KOTA BELUD: Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi gave his assurance that the rights of Sabahans as per the 1963 Malaysian Agreement (MA63) will be included in the Barisan Nasional (BN) manifesto for the 14th General Election (GE14).
Ahmad Zahid, who reiterated Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak's commitment on the MA63 issue, said he was for any rights in the agreement which were taken over or overlooked to be returned to Sabahans.
"We know some people are trying to promote 'Sabah for Sabahans', which is why MA63 is something to be championed by them, but I represent the Prime Minister, I, who represent BN, will assure that MA63 will be included in the manifesto and the rights of Sabahans will surely continue to be defended.
"Do not think that the BN government does not care about the MA63. Because we are confident and believe in the Prime Minister's commitment that anything in the MA63 that has been inadvertently taken over or overlooked will be discussed because the claims of Sabahans as enshrined in MA63 must be protected.
"If that is has become an issue, and it has become BN's concern, what else do they want (the opposition) to raise?" Ahmad Zahid said.
Ahmad Zahid said this when speaking at a gathering with the people of Kota Belud in Kampung Kesapang, here today.
Also present were Sabah Chief Minister Tan Sri Musa Aman, Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department and Kota Belud Member of Parliament Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Dahlan, Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Dr Salleh Said Keruak and deputy Higher Education Minister Datuk Mary Yap Kain Ching.
Ahmad Zahid added that as deputy prime minister he would assist the Prime Minister in monitoring the implementation of policies related to the process of restoring the rights of Sabahans as per the MA63.
"This is the BN government," he said, "We fulfill our promises, we uphold what we say [...]