KUALA LUMPUR: HSS Engineers Bhd said the RM29.6mil reduction to RM158.68mil was in line with revised scope of work for the project. [...]
JOHOR BAHRU: Sultan Johor Sultan Ibrahim Almarhum Sultan Iskandar has accepted the resignation of Datuk Osman Sapian as the Menteri Besar of Johor at Istana Pasir Pelangi, here, at 10 am today.
Johor State Secretary Datuk Azmi Rohani said Sultan Ibrahim had also consented to appointing the new Menteri Besar to replace Osman.
The ceremony to hand over the letter of credential and declaration of the appointment of the new Menteri Besar would be held at Balai Mengadap, Istana Bukit Serene, here, at 9.30 am tomorrow, said Azmi in a statement here today.
Osman’s resignation, effective Monday (April 8), was announced by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad last week.
Osman, 67, the 16th Menteri Besar of Johor, is believed to be the shortest-serving menteri besar, less than 11 months after taking the oath of office on May 12 last year following Pakatan Harapan’s victory at the 14th general election. – Bernama
The post Sultan Ibrahim accepts Osman Sapian’s resignation appeared first on Borneo Post Online. [...]
(April 10): The name of the next Johor Menteri Besar will be presented to the Johor Sultan Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar after he accepts Osman... [...]
Nga Kor Ming has accepted Umno Youth chief Datuk Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki’s apology for calling him a nephew of former Malayan Communist Party leader Chin Peng but did not apologise for his comments. ― Picture by Hari Anggara
KUALA LUMPUR, March 10 — Nga Kor Ming has accepted Umno Youth chief Datuk Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki’s apology for calling him a nephew of former Malayan Communist Party leader Chin Peng, but did not apologise for his comments.“As a man of faith, I am ready to forgive Asyraf and would like to sincerely invite Umno and PAS to leave behind racial politics and religious extremism.“So that together we can develop our Malaysian Nation which consists of all ethnicities for our beloved country,” the Perak DAP chief said on Twitter.Sebagai insan yang beriman, saya bersedia untuk maafkan Sdr @drasyrafwajdi & saya dengan ikhlas mengajak parti UMNO & PAS meninggalkan politik perkauman & fahaman ekstrim agama supaya bersama kita membangunkan Bangsa Malaysia yang terdiri dari pelbagai kaum demi negara tercinta. pic.twitter.com/W6Mq7lazBf— Nga Kor Ming (@NgaKorMing) 10 March 2019Attached to his tweet was a Malay Mail report of Asyraf’s apology, for accusing the Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker of being a nephew of the late Malayan Communist Party leader Chin Peng.The accusation came after Nga claimed that the alliance between Umno and PAS will turn Malaysia akin to Afghanistan that is ruled by Sunni fundamentalist group Taliban, in a speech on Friday.Nga had accused Asyraf of slandering him and gave him 24 hours to apologise before presumably taking on legal action. [...]
PPBM deputy president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir said Pakatan Harapan accepts its defeat in the Semenyih by-election with an open heart. — Picture by Sayuti Zainudin
SEMENYIH, March 2 — Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) deputy president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir said Pakatan Harapan accepts its defeat in the Semenyih by-election with an open heart.The PH vice-president said the coalition would address all its weaknesses to win back the people’s hearts.“We have tried our best but the people know their choice better. We accept this decision with an open heart and will improve on our weaknesses,” he told reporters when met at PH’s main operations room here tonight.Barisan Nasional (BN) wrested the Semenyih State Legislative Assembly Seat after its candidate, Zakaria Hanafi won the four-cornered contest in the by-election for the state constituency with a majority of 1,914 votes.Mukhriz said: “We consider (this defeat) as a message which must be looked into deeply,”Zakaria, 58, garnered 19,780 votes to beat PH candidate Muhammad Aiman Zainali, 30, who obtained 17,866 votes; Nik Aziz Afiq Abdul, 25, from Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) (847 votes) and independent candidate who is also a social activist, Kuan Chee Heng, 56, (725 votes).The official results were announced by Returning Officer Datuk Mohd Sayuthi Bakar at about 9.20 pm at Dewan Seri Cempaka, Kajang Municipal Council, Saujana Impian here.In the meantime, Muhammad Aiman thanked the PH leadership for placing him as a candidate in the by-election.“Thank you also to the voters who voted for me today,” he said.Meanwhile, BN deputy chairman Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said the good cooperation between BN and PAS was fruitful in winning the Semenyih state seat.“We also want to see the country well managed. We (BN and PAS) want to ensure an effective check-and-balance system (in state and national affairs),” he told reporters at Dewan Seri Cempaka which was the official vote counting centre for the by-election.Zakaria also thanked the voters in Semenyih who had put their trust in him to represent them.For Kuan who is better known as Uncle Kentang, despite losing, he was satisfied with the support given by the people of Semenyih.“I am satisfied with the votes I received and will continue to serve and help the people in Semenyih and other areas,” he said.He also expressed his intention to contest the Puchong parliamentary seat in the coming general election. — Bernama [...]
KUCHING: The Cabinet has approved a RM1 billion loan to the federal government from the Sarawak state government to resolve the issue of dilapidated schools in the state.
In a Facebook post, Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik revealed this decision following a previous agreement between him and Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg.
This was agreed upon during his visit to the Chief Minister’s Office on Feb 19 to discuss issues that would benefit 436,000 pupils across the state.
The loan was offered last year by Abang Johari due to the urgency and need to repair the schools in question.
A special committee comprising the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance and the State Government of Sarawak will be established to ensure clean governance and transparent processes are be implemented.
At the implementation stage, the Sarawak Public Works Department (JKR) will be assigned as the implementing agency.
The Cabinet has also agreed that the project will be closely monitored to ensure that the funds of RM1 billion will be put to use efficiently and would directly benefit students and teachers in the schools concerned.
“I hereby thank the Federal Government and Sarawak Chief Minister, YAB Datuk Patinggi Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Bin Tun Abang Haji Openg for coming together with me to ensure future access to quality education for Sarawakians,” he said. [...]
KUALA LUMPUR: Axiata Group Bhd has accepted the general offer for its 28.67% stake in Singapore's M1 Ltd which will see it netting a gain of RM126.45mil on disposal of the shares. [...]
Tanjung Malim MP Chang Lih Kang said in a statement he was ‘appalled’ that PPBM had today accepted the former Umno MPs. — Picture by Marcus Pheong
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 12 — A PKR vice president has taken Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to task for accepting seven former Umno MPs into Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) after the prime minister had said Pakatan Harapan (PH) will not take in Umno turncoats.Chang Lih Kang, who is Tanjung Malim MP, said in a statement he was “appalled” that PPBM — a member of PH along with PKR, DAP and Parti Amanah Negara — had today accepted the former Umno MPs.“It is even more shocking to see the joyful presence of Tun Dr Mahathir, the chairman of the party, who had firmly stated in May 2018, that Pakatan Harapan will not accept Umno turncoats into PH parties.“It is rather disappointing that in less than a year, Tun Dr Mahathir is going back on his words,” Chang said.He urged all PH parties to stop accepting former Barisan Nasional (BN) MPs as it reflects badly on the image of the ruling government, adding that the people had decided to boot BN out in the 14th general election in May last year.“We should not go against their will to reinstate MPs from the former regime into the new government coalition. It is a sheer betrayal to the rakyat’s decision,” he said.Chang also said he disagreed that PH can bolster its Malay support, especially in the rural areas, by bringing in ex-Umno MPs, asserting that the rural folk will not support PH just because they have more Malay MPs.He said PH can more effectively secure the rural people’s support by easing their hardship and improve their livelihood.“Moreover, these seven former Umno MPs are not joining PPBM because of principles. Most of them served in senior positions in the previous administration; some were even minister and deputy minister in Najib’s cabinet.“They did not speak up for the people and the country when they were in power. Instead, they were accomplices of the corrupt regime! Even if some BN MPs are innocent angels, they should be remained in the opposition. Democracy can only flourish with the presence of strong and able opposition.“Therefore, I urge the PH Presidential Council to make a firm decision to reject BN MPs from joining any component party of PH,” Chang said. The seven Umno MPs who are now PPBM members are Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainuddin (Larut), Datuk Shabudin Yahaya (Tasek Gelugor), , Datuk Abdul Latiff Ahmad (Mersing), Datuk Mohd Fasiah Mohd Fakeh (Sabak Bernam), Datuk Seri Ikhmal Hisham Abdul Aziz (Tanah Merah), Datuk Rosol Wahid (Hulu Terengganu) and Datuk Mas Ermieyati Samsudin (Masjid Tanah).Dr Mahathir, who is PPBM chairman, told reporters earlier today that they were joining as normal members and it did not give them any protection from past wrongdoings.Two other former Umno members had also previously joined PPBM — Jeli MP Mustapa Mohamed and Bagan Serai MP Datuk Noor Azmi Ghazali — bringing the total number of PPBM MPs to 22.PPBM had 13 Parliamentarians after winning the May 9 general elections last year. [...]
PETALING JAYA: Datuk Marzuki Yahya will remain as the secretary-general of Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, says party president Tan Sri Muhyddin Yassin. [...]
Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin arrives at the General Operations Forces (PGA) camp in Semenyih February 12, 2019. ― Picture by Hari Anggara
SEMENYIH, Feb 12 — Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) president today confirmed no action will be taken against Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Marzuki Yahya concerning disputes over his academic qualifications.Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who is also the Home Minister, said his party is satisfied and has accepted Marzuki’s explanation following a meeting with the latter.“I accept at that value, whatever has been explained to me.“People can say what they want, but I have spoken to him and he has also issued an explanation; if people are unhappy, then it's a different story,” he said after visiting the General Operations Forces (PGA) camp here this afternoon.Marzuki has been in the receiving end of criticism following confusion over his academic certificates, with police reports lodged against him and also calls for his resignation.MORE TO COME [...]
KUALA LUMPUR: Chemical Company of Malaysia Bhd's unit (CCM) has secured RM50mil in financing facility from OCBC Al-Amin Bank Bhd for the first plant of its Pasir Gudang reactivation project. [...]
Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today said that he accepts Pakatan Harapan’s defeat in the Cameron Highlands by-election but accused Barisan Nasional (BN) of using the race card. — Picture by Mukhriz Hazim
PUTRAJAYA, Jan 28 — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today said that he accepts Pakatan Harapan’s defeat in the Cameron Highlands by-election but accused Barisan Nasional (BN) of using the race card.He said it was not surprising that BN had won the seat as the party always had stronger support in rural areas.“We had a proper by-election, there was no hanky panky. This winning by them (BN) is not surprising, especially as it was in a rural area and they were always strong in rural areas.“They played the racial issue it’s too bad. But this is the decision of the people and we accept,” he told reporters after a closed-door meeting with statutory bodies, here.Dr Mahathir said based on the Cameron Highlands defeat, the government needs to address the issues of high cost of living that is affecting the rural areas.“We have to know more about what they are not happy about. Among the things affecting them is the high cost of living.“High cost of living for rich people, it does not mean anything. But for poor people, it is a big problem.“And these are poor people living in rural areas. We must find ways of reducing the cost of living as well as to help them earn a better income,” he said.When asked on the remark made by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail that some of the voters had still associated Dr Mahathir with BN, the Pakatan Harapan chairman smiled and said it was indeed a contributing factor.“Yes, that was one of it. Some thought I was still in BN.“But it’s okay, they can think what they want, but in the end, they will know,” he said.The Cameron Highlands by-election saw BN candidate Ramli Mohd Nor taking the seat with 12,038 votes, beating DAP’s M. Manogaran who received 8,800 votes, which is less than the 9,710 votes he received in the 14th general election last year.Independent candidates Sallehudin Ab Talib received 314 votes while Wong Seng Yee had 276 votes. [...]
MADRID, Jan 22 (Reuters) – Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo was fined almost 19 million euros ($21.6 million) for tax fraud on Tuesday but will avoid serving a 23-month prison sentence after agreeing a deal.
Ronaldo, holding hands with his Spanish fiancee Georgina Rodriguez, came out of the court room smiling, pausing to sign autographs before leaving in a black van.
The 33-year-old Juventus forward, who played for Real Madrid from 2009-18, agreed to settle the case by paying an 18.8 million euro fine and accepting a suspended jail sentence.
Under Spanish law, a first offender can serve anything less than a two-year sentence under probation and Ronaldo will not have to go to prison.
His court appearance lasted about 15 minutes as the five-times world footballer of the year only needed to sign off on the previously settled agreement.
Earlier, Ronaldo’s former Real Madrid team mate Xabi Alonso walked in to face own tax fraud case with his hands deep in his suit pockets. “Yes, all good,” was his only response to reporters’ questions.
Ronaldo had to enter the courtroom through the front door after his request for special security measures to avoid the spotlight was denied on Monday.
In 2017, Ronaldo denied the accusation that he knowingly used a business structure to hide income generated by his image rights in Spain between 2011 and 2014.
After reaching the deal, he paid a fine of 5.7 million euros, plus interest of about 1 million euros, in July 2018, the prosecutor’s office said last week. ($1 = 0.8803 euros
The post Ronaldo accepts fine for tax evasion, avoids jail appeared first on The Malaysian Reserve. [...]
(Reuters) - Shugo Imahira has accepted a special invitation to compete in this year's U.S. Masters after a brilliant season in which he was the Japan Tour's top money leader. [...]
Kelantan Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob said the state government accepts the decision of the Sultan of Kelantan Sultan Muhammad V to step down as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
TUMPAT, Jan 6 — The Kelantan government accepts the decision of the Sultan of Kelantan Sultan Muhammad V to step down as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob said tonight.Ahmad also said that up to this evening, the state government had not received any official notification from Istana Negara on the matter.“As the mentri besar, I just received informal information on the matter tonight. We accept the decision as it is His Majesty’s right,” he said when met after a Maghrib lecture at the Al-Hidayah Mosque, Kampung Laut, here.Ahmad said a meeting will be held with state secretary Datuk Nazran Muhammad and the Protocol Unit of the State Secretariat on the next course of action.He said His Majesty did not mention the matter when he returned to Kelantan to perform the Friday prayers at the Sultan Ismail Petra Mosque in Kubang Kerian two days ago.“His Majesty conducted himself as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong (when he returned here on Friday) but ‘wallahua’lam’ (Allah knows better) what happened (afterward),” he said.Sultan Muhammad V was installed as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong on April 24, 2017, after taking his oath of office on December 13, 2016.His Majesty succeeded the Sultan of Kedah, Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah, whose term as the 14th Yang di-Pertuan Agong ended on December 12, 2016.Malaysia’s constitutional monarchy system provides for the election of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong from among the nine Malay Rulers on a rotational basis for a reign of five years.Sultan Muhammad V is the first Yang di-Pertuan Agong to step down. — Bernama [...]
TUMPAT (Bernama): The Kelantan government accepts the decision of the Sultan of Kelantan, Sultan Muhammad V, to step down as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Yakob said on Sunday (Jan 6). [...]