secgen

Umno sec-gen: ‘Game over’ for PAS and Sarawak Report, no point pursuing lawsuit
Umno secretary-general Tan Sri Annuar Musa speaks to Malay Mail during an interview at his office in Kuala Lumpur. — Picture by Hari Anggara KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 6 — PAS was right to settle its suit against Sarawak Report (SR) editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown out of court as pursuing the matter would only hamper the Islamist party due to the exorbitant costs, Umno secretary-general Tan Sri Annuar Musa has said.Speaking to the Malay Mail in a recent interview, the Ketereh MP said initiating the lawsuit was a fair move by PAS, but the situation has now reached “game over” for both parties and they should now move forward instead.“So maybe at that time, that kind of defamation can affect PAS because of the election, and they must take stern action against Brown. But now, it’s ‘game over’,” Annuar said, referring to letting bygones be bygones.“If you ask me, I won’t want to fly from Kuala Lumpur to London, flying up and down attending court cases. It is not a cheap thing spending hundreds of thousands, maybe millions just to settle a small issue, which is a non-issue to PAS maybe.”Last Friday, PAS unexpectedly announced that Abdul Hadi had settled his defamation suit against SR and Rewcastle-Brown out of court, with no order to costs and with both bound to confidentiality.He filed the suit in 2017 over a 2016 article alleging that several PAS leaders received RM90 million in order to covertly support Umno and Barisan Nasional ahead of the 14th general election.Despite the link to Umno, Annuar said the case would not affect the two rivals-turned-allies cooperation for the Semenyih by-election next month.“That has not nothing to do with Semenyih. Rewcastle-Brown writing about it is one thing, but Najib’s account has been investigated,” he said, referring to the many investigations against former Umno president Datuk Seri Najib Razak.“If Najib has given RM90 million, I’m sure the entire documents are already in the hands of the government now, but there was nothing.“I think PAS made the right strategy. They want to focus on their business and they want to move forwards. Otherwise, they are being dragged and entangled into an old issue that is not even relevant to their direction now,” he added.Annuar also dismissed the result of the settlement on Umno’s political prospects, despite the disputed article being allowed to be kept online.“There are many incorrect things which are allowed to be retained online. So why worry?” he asked.Annuar further said that the suit was entirely an internal issue within PAS which started even before the 14th general election, and Umno must not be drawn into the quagmire.PAS has been mocked over the out-of-court settlement but has insisted that it still obtained a moral victory despite SR continuing to carry the offending article on its website.Deputy minister in charge of law Mohamed Hanipa Maidin pointed out that since Abdul Hadi did not win in his suit, it cannot be ascertained whether the portal’s report that the Islamist party received RM90 million from rival party Umno was slander.The Sepang MP who has had handled many of PAS’ legal matters when he had still been with the party, also said that PAS is fooling no one with its claim that SR could not prove its allegation.Former Malaysian Bar president Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan had also taken PAS to task, asking the party to properly explain itself to those who contributed to the millions raised towards Abdul Hadi’s legal cost in the matter.Ambiga had been tangentially linked to the case after Rewcastle-Brown claimed the former to be the source of her information for the RM90 million claim. [...]
Save
Ministry sec-gen grilled for six hours at MACC
KUALA LUMPUR: The secretary-general of a ministry was called up once again to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters in Putrajaya yesterday to record his statement over an RM99.7 million government contract awarded to a local firm.According to MACC sources, the 60-year-old man who carries the title ‘Datuk’, testified for six hours beginning at noon.“Yesterday, we recorded his statement for two hours from 10am.“The statement was recorded pertaining to the case involving a former government agency chairman who allegedly used his position to propose a company be directly appointed for the Digital Advertising Campaign project for the Chinese market from 2018 to 2020,“ he said when contacted by Bernama here today.The source added the project was worth RM99.7 million and was financed using the ministry’s allocation.Last Thursday, the former chairman of a government agency carrying the title ‘Datuk’ was remanded for four days to assist with investigations into alleged abuse of power involving government contracts worth over RM99 million. — Bernama [...]
Save
No agreement on Dr M as PM for only two years, says Pakatan sec-gen
Pakatan Harapan secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s term as an interim prime minister has never been discussed at the presidential council’s meeting. — Picture by Azinuddin Ghazali KUANTAN, Jan 1 ― Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s term as an interim prime minister has never been discussed at the Pakatan Harapan (PH) presidential council’s meeting, said its secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah today.Saifuddin, who is also foreign minister, said PH only made the decision that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim would be appointed to the post after Dr Mahathir.“PH only made the decision and agreed that after Tun M (Dr Mahathir), Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will be the next prime minister, we didn’t discuss the rest as they understand each other.“They both (Dr Mahathir and Anwar) should be able to determine the best time for transfer of power and so on,” he said when asked whether there was a concrete agreement for Tun Dr Mahathir as an interim prime minister for only two years.Saifuddin, who is also Indera Mahkota MP, was met by reporters after attending a motivational workshop on Form Six students at the Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Astana, here.The issue of transfer of power was brought up by several delegates at the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) annual general assembly over the weekend, who suggested that Dr Mahathir be allowed one full term.Meanwhile, commenting on the Cameron Highlands parliamentary by-election, Saifuddin said the decision on which party to contest would be made at a PH presidential council meeting on Friday.He said that PH would normally allow the same party to contest and for the Cameron Highlands by-election, the seat it was previously contested by DAP.At the same time, Saifuddin said, there was no request from other component parties to contest for the seat.The Cameron Highlands by-election was called after the Election Court declared that the results in the Cameron highlands parliamentary constituency was null and void after ruling that corrupt practices were committed to garner votes.Nomination for the Cameron Highlands by-election is on January 12 while polling day will be on January 26. ― Bernama [...]
Save
Anwar held talks first before appointing party chiefs, says PKR sec-gen
PUTRAJAYA: PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim held discussions with divisional leaders for about a month before he appointed the state chiefs, claimed PKR secretary-general Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail. [...]
Save
Chew Mei Fun first female MCA Sec-Gen
KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 16): MCA today announced the appointment of its first female secretary-general, Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun, who was formerly the Deputy Women,... [...]
Save
PKR sec-gen says 2,700 delegates to attend national congress
PKR secretary-general Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the delegates were sent by the 217 divisions of the party nationwide as well as representatives of the Wanita and Youth’s wings. — Picture by Firdaus Latif PETALING JAYA, Nov 11 — A total of 2,735 delegates will attend the 2018 Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) National Congress from Nov 16 to 18 at the Ideal Convention Centre (IDCC) in Shah Alam.PKR secretary-general Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said they were sent by the 217 divisions of the party nationwide as well as representatives of the Wanita and Youth’s wings.“These delegates are qualified to attend ... we have 218 divisions but the Labis division failed to carry out its annual meeting so they cannot send a delegation to the congress,” he told Bernama here today.The 13th Congress, which would use the theme, ‘Understanding Democracy, Translating Democracy’, would also be attended by observers and special guests including representatives of embassies and non-governmental organisations from within and outside the country.The theme, he said, was very significant and in line with PKR’s position today as one of the ruling parties in Pakatan Harapan (PH).“In contrast to the past congress, when PKR had undertaken a role more towards pressurising, criticising and only suggesting idea, but this time we need to propose something and translate what is proposed,” he said.Commenting further, Saifuddin said the congress would start with the launching of the Wanita and Youth wings by deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali, followed by the launching of PKR National Congress by party president Datuk Seri Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.Contrary to previous congressional practices, Saifuddin said the debate at the congress this time would focus only on one motion, namely, the presidential policy speech with 16 debaters taking part in a two-day session.The winding-up session would be held on the last day of the congress by the Wanita and Youth wings chiefs, secretary-general, vice-presidents, deputy president and ending with the president.“Prior to this, we broke up the motion topics such as education, social, economics, politics and so forth, but this congress currently has only one motion, which is the president’s policy speech, but the policy speech contained various elements covering all topics.“So we give freedom to the debaters to raise anything and it is up to them to focus on the issues they want,” he said.In addition, Saifuddin said all leaders who had won the party elections would take their places as the PKR’s new leaders on the last day of the congress. — Bernama [...]
Save
Nazri new BN sec-gen, to head coalition rebranding, restructuring
Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz confirmed today that he has been appointed the secretary-general of BN. — Picture by Miera Zulyana KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 27 — Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz confirmed today that he has been appointed the secretary-general of Barisan Nasional (BN), after a surprise announcement by Umno president Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi this morning.Nazri told The Star he was informed of his role about three months ago.“Yes, I am the new secretary-general, as announced by Datuk Seri Zahid. I was informed about it three months ago,” he reportedly said.“We will start engaging with other component parties in Barisan and then followed by other parties,” he replied, when asked about his plan after the appointment.Zahid was earlier reported suggesting that BN be rebranded with a new name, ahead of its efforts to retake Putrajaya in the next election.“For me, the ‘Alliance 1.0’ was formed in 1955. ‘Alliance 2.0’ or BN was created in 1974 with Umno, MCA and MIC as the core parties.“Now in 2018, I suggest that ‘Alliance 3.0’ become a coalition of parties just like BN,” Zahid was quoted saying at the MIC general assembly by Malaysiakini.Zahid reportedly said the new BN will include five core parties, bloc partners and other NGOs.Earlier, he had mulled letting the Malaysian Indian Muslim Congress (Kimma) and other Indian parties into the coalition, and expressed his hope that Islamist party PAS will continue to be a political partner.Speaking to The Star, Nazri agreed with Zahid’s suggestion, saying the rebranding and restructuring would make BN more dynamic.“We need to be brave and courageous, just like what Tun Abdul Razak did after the 1969 general election. The Alliance Party was renamed and rebranded as Barisan Nasional. It was well-received,” he told the the paper.“Just like Pakatan Harapan. It was previously Pakatan Rakyat. We should sit down and discuss about it, to create a new political dynamic,” he added, saying that BN does not even exist in Sabah anymore after the state Umno joined Gabungan Bersatu Sabah.Prior to its defeat in the 14th general election, BN had comprised 13 parties.There are now only five component parties: Umno, MCA, MIC, myPPP and Parti Bersatu Rakyat Sabah. [...]
Save
Sarawak PKR slams sec-gen over failure to address Julau branch membership list
Bawin said the state PKR’s objection was to raise the red flag and alert the secretary general’s office of the dubious registration of membership in Julau. ― Picture by Sulok Tawie KUCHING, Oct 24 — Sarawak PKR today expressed its deep disappointment with party secretary general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail for failing to attend to its objections and complaints over the membership list of the Julau branch.Sarawak PKR secretary Nicholas Bawin said two written objections were submitted to the party headquarters which were never acknowledged by the secretary general.He said the first objection was submitted on August 18 by Julau PKR chairman Semana Sawang, while the second objection was submitted on September 10 by the state PKR committee.Bawin said these objections were submitted well within the stipulated period fixed by the party headquarters.“We are very disappointed that he did not see fit to officially or unofficially acknowledge nor respond to these two written objections,” Bawin said when responding to Saifuddin’s statement that the objection period for the membership lists has been closed.He said Saifuddin should have acted on the first objection by Semana, but he did not.“This is blatant dereliction of duties by the secretary general for not acting on the serious allegations brought up officially by Sarawak PKR committee,” he said.Bawin said the state PKR’s objection was to raise the red flag and alert the secretary general’s office of the dubious registration of membership in Julau.“Such dubious registration of members could lead to the very possible breach of the Data Protection Act if data theft and fraud are found to have taken place.“We should be mindful of the criminality of the offence alleged and our coalition’s pledge for the rule of laws that is applicable to all, including our party.“In the circumstances, any complaint to the Registrar of Societies or challenges to the glaring irregularities and illegalities in the Courts of Law may be detrimental or fatal to the party in particular and ruling Pakatan Harapan government in general,” Bawin warned.He urged the party’s central committee and political bureau to exercise caution in their deliberation to resolve the rampant irregularities and illegalities alleged.Bawin said a clarion call by party vice-president Chua Tian Chang that oversights and erroneous calculations must be rectified thoroughly in order to overcome the credibility discrepancy of the party election process should be heeded.Bawin said state PKR has struggled too long to allow its image to be tarnished now that PKR is part of the federal government. [...]
Save
Bring Jho Low back to face the music, Umno sec-gen says
Ketereh MP and Umno secretary-general Tan Sri Annuar Musa addresses the media at the Parliament in Kuala Lumpur August 13, 2018. — Picture by Miera Zulyana KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 13 — Fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho must be brought back to answer all outstanding questions concerning the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal, Tan Sri Annuar Musa asserted today.The Umno secretary-general said the financial scandal that involved public funds has gone on for too long.He then expressed confidence in the authorities to extradite the Penang-born from wherever he is hiding.“I believe that our authorities have the ability to search and bring him back here and settle the issue once and for all.“If we could bring Jamal back from Indonesia, the Equanimity yacht back from Indonesia and now Jho Low’s private jet, then why can’t he be brought back?” he told reporters at Parliament here.MORE TO COME [...]
Save
Umno sec-gen continues offensive on SST
Annuar said the move to re-introduce the SST will be regressive to the economy and harmful to consumers. — Picture by Mukhriz Hazim KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 — Tan Sri Annuar Musa rejected today Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng’s use of lower tax collections projected under the Sales and Services Tax (SST) to indicate it is better than the consumption tax, saying it will only encourage tax evasion.The Umno secretary-general and his party have honed in on the government’s plan to repeal the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and replace this with the SST, saying the move will be regressive to the economy and harmful to consumers.“You tax more on rakyat now but you use lesser collection AS PROOF that you are taxing less now!! (The) rakyat are not stupid.“YOU GOT LESS COZ U OPT FOR SYSTEM WHERE TRADERS CAN EASILY CHEAT AND EVADE TAX...you are PRO TAX EVADERS N RICH TRADERS and burden the POOR!!” he wrote on Twitter today.Yesterday, former Umno president Datuk Seri Najib Razak also warned that the move to re-introduce the SST in September will be a “double whammy” for the public, after reiterating claims that the zero-rating of the GST has not resulted in any significant price reductions.The opposition party maintains that prices will surge once the sales tax is implemented in September, with businesses passing on the tax burden directly to consumers.Umno has taken a leaf out of Pakatan Harapan’s playbook from before the general election and is using the tax regime swap to attack the new ruling coalition.The crux of their criticism is that the repeal of the GST would remove the mandatory tax reporting structure that reduced firms’ ability to under-report tax obligations, all without tangibly lowering prices.They have also used a conflation of the 10 per cent sales tax and 6 per cent tax on services to suggest that the SST, which is the same system that the GST superseded in 2015, will be more burdensome than the consumption tax. [...]
Save
Stuart Michael Ramalingam is FAM’s new sec-gen
KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 — Former Malaysian Super League chief executive officer Stuart Michael Ramalingam has been appointed as the new secretary-general of the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM).FAM president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin in a statement said Stuart’s appointment as the footballing body’s 10th secretary-general was done according to Article 61, Paragraph 1, of FAM’s Statute.“As FAM president, I hope he (Stuart) can carry out his duties with utmost professionalism and trust to uplift national football,” said Hamidin.Stuart, 41, has ten years of experience in football management and administration, including several positions in the International Football Federation (FIFA) and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).“With his experience at FIFA, AFC, FAM as well as four years in the corporate world and the largest sports agencies in the world (Dentsu Sports and IMG), Stuart is seen as the most suitable candidate to become FAM’s secretary-general, believed to be able to bring about a positive corporate culture,” said Hamidin, who had been FAM secretary-general for the past five years.Hamidin was elected to the vacant president’s post for the remainder of the 2017-2021 during the body’s  54th Annual Congress in Petaling Jaya yesterday, following Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim’s resignation in March.Stuart will officially begin his duties at Wisma FAM, Kelana Jaya on Monday (July 16). — Bernama [...]
Save