technology

Audi, Renault and Honda partner up with Alibaba on AI and voice technology
Audi, Renault and Honda have announced a partnership with Alibaba on artificial... The post Audi, Renault and Honda partner up with Alibaba on AI and voice technology appeared first on Marketing Magazine Asia. [...]
Save
China to set up system to safeguard technology security
Chinese and US flags are set up for a meeting during a visit by US Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao at China's Ministry of Transport in Beijing, China April 27, 2018. — Reuters pic BEIJING, June 8 — China plans to establish a system to ensure “national security” in technology, state media reported today amid an expanding trade war with the United States which has snared Chinese tech titan Huawei.The powerful National Development and Reform Commission has been tasked with establishing a list system to “more effectively forestall and defuse national security risks,” the Xinhua news agency said.Xinhua did not elaborate or state whether the move was linked to the trade war but said “detailed measures will be unveiled in the near future”.Washington and Beijing resumed their trade battle last month when trade talks in the US ended without a deal and US President Donald Trump raised tariffs on US$200 billion (RM831 billion) in Chinese goods, which Beijing retaliated to with its own tariff hike on billions worth US goods.The trade war has stepped up in recent weeks with Washington’s move to blacklist Huawei over national security concerns, threatening the firm’s global ambitions.The US Commerce Department placed Huawei on an “entity list” on grounds of national security on May 16, a move that curbs its access to US-made components it needs for its equipment. A 90-day reprieve was later issued.“Based on what I know, China is building a management mechanism to protect China’s key technologies,” Hu Xijin, the influential editor of the Chinese daily Global Times, said today on Twitter.“This is a major step to improve its system, and also a move to counter US crackdown. Once taking effect, some technology exports to the US will be subject to the control,” Hu said.China accuses Trump of wanting to thwart Huawei’s development because the company is the world leader in next-generation 5G mobile technology and faces no US competition.Following Washington’s move, Beijing on Thursday said it would draw up its own blacklist of “unreliable” foreign companies, which could target US and international firms that have cut off supplies to Huawei. — AFP [...]
Save
AI: A disruptive technology that brings benefits
Today, practitioners of artificial intelligence (AI) have become technology world’s rock stars. “Deep learning” (a more fashionable branch of AI), which uses natural networks to churn through volumes of big data looking for patterns that is inspired by the activity of layers of neurons in the brain, has proven to be in high demand to help build software, particularly for the companies collectively known as FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google). [...]
Save
Malaysia is unperturbed with the allegation of spying levelled against the Chinese tech giant, Huawei and will continue to make use of their technology as much as possible: PM Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
Malaysia is unperturbed with the allegation of spying levelled against the Chinese tech giant, Huawei and will continue to make use of their technology as much as possible: PM Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad The post Malaysia is unperturbed with the allegation of spying levelled against the Chinese tech giant, Huawei and will continue to make use of their technology as much as possible: PM Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad appeared first on The Malaysian Reserve. [...]
Save
Leaked ARM memo suggests Huawei's losing access to yet more essential technology
The hits keep coming for Huawei. Following the revocation of its license to use Google apps and the Play Store on its Android phones and a ban by several major chipmakers, including Intel, Broadcom, and Qualcomm, a leaked memo obtained by the BBC has revealed that ARM has ordered its employees to cease “all active contracts, support entitlements, and any pending engagements” with the beleaguered China-based tech giant.While ARM is a UK-based company, its chip designs contain technology that originated in the U.S. and subsequently are believed to be subject to the Commerce Department’s blanket ban. The memo says ARM employees are no longer able to “provide support, delivery technology (whether software, code, or other updates), engage in technical discussions, or otherwise discuss technical matters.”To read this article in full, please click here [...]
Save
Technology ethics campaigners offer plan to fight ‘human downgrading’
Small toy figures are seen in front of a binary code in this illustration picture April 8, 2019. — Reuters pic SAN FRANCISCO, April 24 — Technology firms should do more to connect people in positive ways and steer away from trends that have tended to exploit human weaknesses, ethicists told a meeting of Silicon Valley leaders yesterday.Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin are the co-founders of the nonprofit Centre for Humane Technology and the ones who prompted Apple and Google to nudge phone users toward reducing their screen time.Now they want companies and regulators to focus on reversing what they called “human downgrading,” which they see as at the root of a dozen worsening problems, by reconsidering the design and financial incentives of their systems.Before a hand-picked crowd of about 300 technologists, philanthropists and others concerned with issues such as internet addiction, political polarisation, and the spread of misinformation on the web, Harris said Silicon Valley was too focused on making computers surpass human strengths, rather than worrying about how they already exploit human weaknesses.If that is not reversed, he said, “that could be the end of human agency,” or free will.Problems include the spread of hate speech and conspiracy theories, propelled by financial incentives to keep users engaged alongside the use of powerful artificial intelligence on platforms like Alphabet Inc’s YouTube, Harris said.YouTube and other companies have said they are cracking down on extremist speech and have removed advertising revenue-sharing from some categories of content.Active Facebook communities can be a force for good but they also aid the dissemination of false information, the campaigners said. For example, a vocal fringe that opposes vaccines, believing contrary to scientific evidence that they cause autism, has led to an uptick in diseases that were nearly eradicated.Facebook said in March it would reduce the distribution of content from groups promoting vaccine hoaxes.In an interview after his speech, Harris said that what he has called a race to the bottom of the brainstem — manipulation of human instincts and emotions — could be reversed.For example, he said that Apple and Google could reward app developers who help users, or Facebook could suggest that someone showing signs of depression call a friend who had previously been supportive.Tech personalities attending included Apple Inc co-founder Steve Wozniak, early Facebook funder turned critic Roger McNamee and MoveOn founders Joan Blades and Wes Boyd. Tech money is also backing the Centre, including charitable funds started by founders of Hewlett Packard, EBay, and Craigslist.The big companies, Harris said, “can change the incentives”. — Reuters [...]
Save
MCMC: There’s no evidence that 5G technology poses a health risk
Current studies have shown there is no conclusive evidence of 5G tech being harmful— AFP pic KUALA LUMPUR, April 15 — The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has assured that there’s no need to worry about 5G causing health issues as speculated on social media. According to Professor Dr. Tharek Abd. Rahman, a Commission Member of the MCMC, there’s no conclusive evidence to prove that 5G technology is harmful.He emphasised that current studies have shown that exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Field (RF-EMF) are within the recommended limits under the guidelines of the International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection (ICNIRP). He added that the World Health Organisation (WHO) concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low-level electromagnetic fields based on approximately 25,000 articles that have been published over the past 30 years.According to Professor Dr. Tharek, the assumption that headaches, depression, anxiety and fatigue are caused by exposure to low-level EMF are inaccurate. He explained that there’s no scientific evidence to support such claims.Dr. Tharek, who is currently a professor at the School of Electrical Engineering in UTM, has also explained that EMF is grouped under the category of non-ionising radiation, and the quantum waves are not enough to cause any changes to a molecular structure compared to ionising radiation. The only effect is heat and it isn’t enough to cause long term damage to human tissues.For a better understanding, MCMC has a microsite that explains EMF and the site is developed in collaboration with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). — SoyaCincau [...]
Save
Championship play-off final will not use VAR despite available technology and £180m at stake
The decision has been taken because VAR has not been in use in league competition, but goal-line technology will be used during the match at Wembley on 27 May [...]
Save
Financial technology (fintech) industry players are optimistic that Malaysia will be able to kick off its virtual banking revolution and set up its first neo or virtual bank in the third quarter of 2020 at the soonest
Financial technology (fintech) industry players are optimistic that Malaysia will be able to kick off its virtual banking revolution and set up its first neo or virtual bank in the third quarter of 2020 at the soonest The post Financial technology (fintech) industry players are optimistic that Malaysia will be able to kick off its virtual banking revolution and set up its first neo or virtual bank in the third quarter of 2020 at the soonest appeared first on The Malaysian Reserve. [...]
Save
Ministry of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change (MESTECC) will be tendering a total RM3.2b of energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, which includes the RM2b large-solar scale projects last year: Yeo Bee Yin
Ministry of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change (MESTECC) will be tendering a total RM3.2b of energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, which includes the RM2b large-solar scale projects last year: Yeo Bee Yin The post Ministry of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change (MESTECC) will be tendering a total RM3.2b of energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, which includes the RM2b large-solar scale projects last year: Yeo Bee Yin appeared first on The Malaysian Reserve. [...]
Save
Dr M: Third national car project to learn automotive engineering technology
Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the government's move to launch its third national car project was to enable Malaysians to learn and understand automotive engineering technology. He was of the opinion that Malaysians 'know nothing' and lacked knowledge in regards to the automotive engineering industry. [...]
Save
Facebook employs AI technology to remove ‘revenge porn’ content
According to the head of global safety at Facebook, said the new technologies can help the company ‘proactively detect near-nude images or videos that are shared without permission on Facebook and Instagram.’ ― AFP pic SAN FRANCISCO, March 16 ― Facebook said yesterday it is using technologies of machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to detect and remove non-consensual intimate images, also known as “revenge porn,” from its platform, China's Xinhua News Agency reported.Antigone Davis, head of global safety at Facebook, said the new technologies can help the company “proactively detect near-nude images or videos that are shared without permission on Facebook and Instagram.”With the AI-based system, such content can be found and sent to human moderators for review “before anyone reports it,” Davis said in a blog post.“When someone's intimate images are shared without their permission it can be devastating,” he said.Davis said that the new technologies were introduced because the victims are often afraid of retribution so they are reluctant to report the content themselves, or are unaware the content has been shared.He said the new detection mechanism is part of Facebook's pilot programme jointly run with victim advocate organisations, which gives Facebook users an emergency option to securely and proactively submit a photo to the company, thus Facebook can create a digital fingerprint of that image and stop it from ever being shared.Facebook is planning to expand the pilot programme in the next few months to benefit more people in an emergency, Davis said.In order to help people who have been the targets of such destructive exploitation, Facebook also launched a victim-support hub called “Not Without My Consent,” where victims can seek support and assistance including measures to have those unauthorized content removed and blocked from further spreading.In addition, Facebook has offered an appeal process for users to report any posts that are deleted by mistake. ― Bernama [...]
Save
Penang to be first to use blockchain technology to track producers better
GEORGE TOWN: Penang will soon use blockchain technology to track producers, says Deputy Agriculture and Agro-based Industries Minister Sim Tze Tzin. [...]
Save
China’s technology challenge is bigger than just Huawei, British spymaster says
The West needs to understand that the challenge of China’s technological revolution runs much deeper than Huawei’s row with the United States over intellectual property theft and state espionage, one of Britain’s top spies said. [...]
Save
Army chief calls for technology and skill upgrade to reduce civil servants in Army
File photo of the Malaysian Armed Forces take part in the 60th National Day parade at Dataran Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur on August 31, 2017. ― Picture by Miera Zulyana PORT DICKSON, Feb 23 — Army chief General Datuk Seri Ahmad Hasbullah Mohd Nawawi will abide if the government plans to reduce the number of civil servants in the Army.He said with technology and ensuring that every member of the staff equip themselves with various skills, reducing the number of civil servants would not present a problem to the army.“The army staff themselves must be multi-skilled. The reduced number could be offset through the use of technology. So if a certain area requires 10 staff, we could reduce to five or six, but fill the gap by using technology,” he said.Ahmad Hasbullah was speaking at a press conference held after the Passing-Out Parade of Young Male Officers Series 187/18 at the Army Basic Training Centre here today.Also present were Army West Field Commander Gen Datuk Azizan Md Delin, and Army Training Commander Gen Datuk Wira Md Tajri Alwi.Commenting on the yearly army intake quota, Ahmad Hasbullah said there was no limit to it“We need more army intake because we have two regions which must be protected. So the quota is never enough,” he said.Prime Minister Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad had recently said that the size of the civil service was too big and should be reduced.He said at present there were 1.7 million civil servants, an increase of 700,000 since he was the fourth Prime Minister. — Bernama [...]
Save
Sixty per cent of new homes for hardcore poor to utilise IBS technology
SEREMBAN (Feb 8): A total of 60 per cent or 919 new units of the Hardcore Poor Housing Programme (PPRT) nationwide will be built using... [...]
Save